Let me first off say that we have an amazing walk-through tunnel and shark tank at the Aquarium as you can see from the photo above. However, when I first got the job here I thought to myself that the exhibit and space around it could really use some help. The sharks and tank itself are absolutely fabulous. The problems are the extremely dark tunnels and the complete lack of any type of signage. I tried tackling a little bit of that without any funding by installing some small graphic boxes.
I chatted quite a bit with some of the employees here at the facility about the tunnels, especially the curator. He had a lot of good ideas, especially with all of the exhibit work he’s done in our facility and others. I looked up a lot of different information and really got some ideas going. I’ve also been reading a quite interesting book simply called “Exhibit Labels: An Interpretive Approach” which has been extremely informative.
To make a long story short we have acquired a budget for this project and it has become a high priority. I’m amazed at how this project has become fast tracked. I spent the whole last week avoiding sales calls, and everything else in order to get these visualizations done. This will give the general idea of what I have planned for the space, and there is always room for things to change when we actually start building everything.